Victor Oladipo rescued the Orlando Magic on Thursday afternoon in Orlando Pro Summer League play. His team needed a basket to beat the Philadelphia 76ers and avoid having to play the Brooklyn Nets on Friday to determine the ninth-place team in the tournament.
So Oladipo isolated against Michael Carter-Williams, whose Syracuse club sent Oladipo's Indiana Hoosiers home in the Sweet 16 of the 2013 NCAA tournament, in the center of the floor and went to work. The rookie guard drove to his left, lowered his shoulder into Carter-Williams, and stepped back for a long jumper.
He drained the shot, giving the Magic a 79-78 lead with 4.4 seconds to play and prompting Orlando season-ticketholders viewing the game from seats overlooking the floor to start chanting his name.
Via the NBA's official YouTube channel, you can watch video of the game-deciding play above.
Oladipo finished with a game-high 24 points, to go with three rebounds, six assists, and three steals.
The Magic will battle the Boston Celtics for seventh place on Friday. Tipoff is set for 2 PM.
We invite you to follow Orlando Pinstriped Post on Twitter and like Orlando Pinstriped Post on Facebook.
More from Orlando Pinstriped Post:
- NBA Summer League 2013 standings: Orlando Pro Summer League leaderboard after July 11th
- NBA Summer League 2013: Victor Oladipo hits go-ahead basket to give Magic 90-89 win over 76ers
- NBA free agency 2013: Magic won't re-sign Beno Udrih, according to report
- NBA Summer League 2013 schedule: Orlando Pro Summer League play winds down Thursday
- Watch: Maurice Harkless uses a great post move for a dunk against Heat