New year, new Magic...at least we hope.
With the Magic on a six-game road trip, and then returning home for a cruel back-to-back against the Celtics and Rockets, we’ll find out very soon into 2019 if this Magic team will be competing for a playoff spot or bound for the lottery. And also if they’ll be buyers or sellers as the trade deadline approaches.
But before looking ahead to the coming year, let’s look back on the year that was.
We saw another lottery year, the firing of Frank Vogel, the hiring of Steve Clifford, the drafting of Mo Bamba, the re-signing of Aaron Gordon, the speculation of Isaiah Thomas, the ankle issues of Jonathan Isaac, the departure of Elfrid Payton, the trading of Bismack Biyombo, the passing of Rich DeVos, the sudden All-Star caliber play of Nikola Vucevic and much more.
So here are some of our favorite stories from 2018.
As always, we thank you for reading and sticking with us even with the Magic stuck in an endless rebuild. Better days are hopefully ahead for our team!
OPP Tweet of the Year
Let's all remember one thing as LeBron heads to the Western Conference...Other than the teams he has played for, there is only one Eastern Conference team that LeBron James has never defeated in a playoff series: the Orlando Magic— Orlando Pinstriped Post (@OPPMagicBlog) July 2, 2018
Magic Headlines of 2018
- Suggestions on how Aaron Gordon can become a more efficient shooter
- The debut of the Magic’s B.I.G. lineup showed serious promise, produced mixed results.
- The Magic have taken the fewest free throw attempts in the league. Here’s why...
- Steph Curry’s ankle surgeon spoke with OPP about Jonathan Isaac and offered his advice on the young forward’s ankle issues.
- Rashard Lewis, who was honored by the Magic this season, made sacrifices that led to the Magic success.
- The sad history of the Magic’s back-up point guards (still relevant today!).
- Evan Fournier is not the problem, or the solution, for the Orlando Magic.
- Mo Bamba has the potential to be an All-Star and Defensive Player of the Year.
- Aaron Gordon’s contract and how LeBron James may have saved the Magic some money.
- A holiday shopping list of attainable players that could immediately help the Orlando Magic.
- One day you’ll learn not to believe in the Orlando Magic.
- Frank Vogel took the fall in a no-win situation.
- Who is to blame for Frank Vogel’s firing?
- Elfrid Payton has finally cut his hair and there is visual proof.
- We came up with the nickname “Victorious B.I.G” and made t-shirts.
- A ranking of the top 30 players in Orlando Magic franchise history.
- A ranking of the top 30 games in Orlando Magic franchise history.
- Ranking the Magic’s top 20 Dunk Contest dunks.
- Picks owned, picks owed: A rundown of the Magic’s “war chest.”
- How the Magic have fared at each draft slot.
- D.J. Augustin might be just what the Magic need at point guard.
- The Orlando Magic must change the roster, not the coach, in the summer of 2018.
- The tragic case of Mario Hezonja and the Orlando Magic.
- An evaluation of a stretch of Nikola Vucevic’s games showed why he is having an All-Star worthy season.
- Should the Magic trade for Markelle Fultz or Frank Ntilikina?
- The pros and cons of the Magic potentially signing Isaiah Thomas.
- Who will emerge as the leader of the Orlando Magic?
- An open letter from Magic fans to the NBA Draft Lottery Gods.
- On a wingspan and a prayer: the Magic added some freakishly long arms.
- The Elfrid Payton trade was the first step in the latest Magic rebuild.
- In Phoenix, Elfird Payton had a chance to prove himself.
- By refusing to accept moral victory, Steve Clifford is changing expectations in Orlando.
- Let’s pretend for a moment that Grant Hill was healthy when he was on the Magic.
- Victor Oladipo showed why the Magic must keep Aaron Gordon.
- The reasons why the Magic offense was so successful at one point this season.