The Orlando Magic are in their fifth season of a long rebuilding effort, but their lack of success on the road against the Memphis Grizzlies stretches back to when they were still NBA-relevant. The Magic's current eight-game losing streak at FedEx Forum started on October 31st, 2008, and their last victory there occurred on January 23rd of that same year.
In that contest, Hedo Turkoglu led an Orlando three-point barrage, nailing six triples en route to scoring a game-high 26 points. As a team, Orlando shot 18-of-33 from beyond the arc, and eight players converted at least one trey. The hot-shooting Magic coasted to a 112-85 win over Memphis, which dropped to 12-30 on the season.
The last time the Magic won a game in Memphis...
- ... Carlos Arroyo and Maurice Evans started in Orlando's backcourt.
- ... the top film at the box office was Cloverfield, which grossed a little more than $40 million in its first weekend.
- ... Pat Garrity recorded a three-trillion, the first of a pair of trillions he’d post during the year.
- ... True Blood and Sons of Anarchy were eight months away from making their debuts.
- ... the top song on the Billboard Hot 100 chart was "Low," by Flo Rida featuring T-Pain.
- ... Bo Outlaw, who opened the year on the Magic's roster, had already played his final NBA game. For his part, Garrity would retire following the season.
Now, to be fair to the Magic, none of their losses during this streak have been embarrassments: Memphis has won each game by an average of 6.5 points, and its largest margin of victory was 12. In other words, it’s not as though the Grizzlies are simply crushing Orlando at FedEx Forum, but they’re beating them just the same.
Orlando tips off against Memphis at 8:00 PM Eastern on Fox Sports Florida.