Excuse the long post, but I'm hoping the functionality and fun we get out of this more than makes up for the length.
So, the logjam we all foresaw at the beginning of the season reared its ugly head on Friday night, as Harkless was squeezed from the lineup completely. I'm as frustrated with Hark's lack of improvement this season as anyone, but I also believe that he still needs minutes (especially in a backup role where he appears to be best suited).
And as much as I love Jameer, he shouldn't be playing 40 minutes in any game this season. So let's see if we can help Vaughn out with what appears to be his kryptonite: minutes distribution and rotations. At the end of this post is a table (in HTML) that you can copy and paste into your comments, and then adjust with allocations as you see fit.
My two cents? In order for any scenario to work (barring a trade), I think Dipo has to split time at the 1 & 2, Harkless at the 2 & 3, Harris at the 3 & 4, and Baby at the 4 & 5. This also assumes a starting lineup of Jameer, Afflalo, Harris, Baby, and Vuc (not necessarily my preference, but required for the numbers to work). I'd also love to get O'Quinn some minutes, but it unfortunately just doesn't seem feasible. Here goes:
|Jameer Nelson (s)||28||0||0||0||0||28|
|Arron Afflalo (s)||0||34||0||0||0||34|
|Tobias Harris (s)||0||0||25||8||0||33|
|Glen Davis (s)||0||0||0||20||14||34|
|Nik Vucevic (s)||0||0||0||0||34||34|
Now here's the fun part: everyone can make their own table for the comments! The code below will help you create a table in a matter of seconds. Just make sure that the summations are correct -- the table doesn't sum automatically so it must be done manually (remember, player minutes can be whatever you determine, but the total position minutes needs to sum to 48). I'd really like to see how everyone thinks we can make this work for the balance of the season (again, assuming there's no trades). Here's how to edit the data:
- Under each player name there are 6 slots that look like this:
- The "#" can be overtyped in each one of the slots
- For each player, slot 1=PG, slot 2=SG, slot 3=SF, slot 4=PF, slot 5=C, and slot 6=Total Minutes for that player
- As an example, if you think Oladipo should start at shooting guard and only play a few minutes at point, you might follow these steps:
- find his name and add "(s)" at the end
- In slot one you would place a "5" (for minutes played at PG position)
- In slot two you'd place a "30" (for minutes played at SG position)
- Slots 3, 4, and 5 you'd make "0"
- Slot 6 would be the total number of Oladipo minutes of "35" (5 + 30)
To make your table, copy everything in the box at the bottom of the post and paste it into Notepad. In Notepad, hit Ctrl+H and replace with nothing (leave the replace with field blank). Then copy the corrected code from Notepad back into your comment, and edit away as described above. Enjoy!