- Gregg Popovich described him as "someone with great work ethic, very intelligent, and with a high basketball IQ". He often referred him as "prime coaching material". He was held in high esteem by Popovich as a player and a coach.
- He was always considered a player most likely to become a coach in the NBA. He often sat near the coaching staff on the bench during his playing days in San Antonio.
- He also was the head coach for the Spurs' 2010 Summer League team and is currently the head coach for the 2012 Summer League team (which notably includes Kawhi Leonard).
- He "helped" Tony Parker with his shooting. Interesting note: after that off-season, Parker's field goal percentage went from 48.7% to 51.9%.
- During pre-games (which work like clockwork in the Popovich era), Richard Jefferson always use to work early with JV.
- To add JV into the Spurs coaching roster, the Spurs created a position.
Fun Fact: His go-to move as a player was the layup airball. Fans use to make a lot of fun about that.