Imagine playing the Orlando Magic and the Miami Heat on the road on back-to-back nights. Brutal. 14 times this season, that is exactly what happens; thanks to the NBA
travel agents schedule makers.
Six times, Orlando receives the benefit of getting the 2nd game.
Eight times, the advantage swings to the Heat, who play a team that had to face Orlando the night before.
Additionally, five times, teams play at Orlando and Miami in consecutive road games, but they have a day off in between (twice that team is the Knicks...cue Stern-based conspiracy theorists).
Incidentally, does it ever happen that a team has to play the Heat and Magic on a back-to-back on their home floor (i.e. away games for both the Magic & Heat)? Nope.
Dates for these games are below. I've also listed the occasions [in square brackets] that either Orlando or Miami is playing on the second night of their own back-to-back.
+ Back-to-back with ORL on the second night (advantage ORL)
- Back-to-back with MIA on the second night (advantage MIA)
* (also in italics) Not back-to-back nights, but back-to-back games, but with a day off in between
SCHEDULE (in chronological order for the regular season):
+ Nov 2 - Minnesota in MIA, Nov 3 in ORL
- Nov 5 - New Jersey in ORL, Nov 6 in MIA
+ Nov 9 - Utah in MIA, Nov 10 in ORL
- Nov 12 - Toronto in ORL, Nov 13 in MIA
+ Nov 17 - Phoenix in MIA, Nov 20 in ORL
- Nov 30 - Detriot in ORL, Dec 1 in MIA
* Dec 4 - Atlanta in MIA, Dec 6 in ORL
+ Dec 20 - Dallas in MIA, Dec 21 in ORL [ORL @ ATL on Dec 20]
* Dec 28 - New York in MIA, Dec 30 in ORL
* Jan 1 - Golden State in MIA, Jan 3 in ORL
+ Jan 4 - Milwaukee in MIA, Jan 5 in ORL [MIA @ CHA on Jan 3]
- Jan 21 - Toronto in ORL, Jan 22 in MIA
- Jan 30 - Cleveland in ORL, Jan 31 in MIA [MIA @ OKC on Jan 30]
+ Feb 22 - Sacramento in MIA, Feb 23 in ORL
* Feb 27 - New York in MIA, Mar 1 in ORL
* Mar 4 - Chicago in ORL, Mar 6 in MIA [ORL @ MIA on Mar 3]
- Mar 7 - Portland in ORL, Mar 8 in MIA
- Mar 18 - Denver in ORL, Mar 19 in MIA [MIA @ ATL on Mar 18]
- Apr 5 - Milwaukee in ORL, Apr 6 in MIA