3QC is J.J.'s website. I just write on it.
File photo by Thearon Henderson, Getty Images
Remember when I linked to Mavs Moneyball's comprehensive rundown of the Jason Kidd trade? Well, I'm trying my hand at similarly covering J.J. Redick's season. 3QC user Brutalfacts wrote in this comment that he's "sick and tired of JJ, JJ talk, JJ speculation, discussion of JJ's future, JJ's whining about his 'role' and at this point just about everything JJ related." Sorry, Brutalfacts.
Note that some of the links in the 3QC stories below may have rotted. John Denton's forum automatically deletes threads after a certain amount of time has elapsed; ditto with the Orlando Sentinel's stories.
And without further ado...
- 9 July 2007: In his first-ever Summer League game, J.J. Redick scores 30 points on 7-of-18 shooting.
- 23 Oct 2007: The Magic pick up the third- and fourth-year options on Redick's contract.
- 28 Nov 2007 - 2 Dec 2007 - Over a three-game stretch during which the Magic go 2-1, Redick scores 27 points (10-of-15 FGs) in 41 minutes:
- 5 Jan 2008 - John Denton thinks Golden State Warriors may be interested in trading for J.J. and either Carlos Arroyo or Keyon Dooling.
- 9 Jan 2008 - Magic General Manager Otis Smith tells the Orlando Sentinel he's gotten some calls inquiring about the availability Redick in possible trades.
- 29 Jan 2008 - Smith says he won't trade J.J.
- 7 Feb 2008 - Denton gets a rare glimpse into Magic practice and reports that J.J. Redick was incredible, scoring 14 of his team's 16 points during one scrimmage.
- 29 Feb 2008 - Tim Povtak reports Redick will go back to the end of the bench, despite playing 16 minutes in a loss at Philadelphia.
- 4 Mar 2008 - Povtak reports J.J. may get to play 'significant minutes' in that night's game against the Raptors due to injuries to Keyon Dooling and Keith Bogans.
- 4 Mar 2008 - After the Magic's 102-87 victory over the Raptors, Redick, who did not play, tells Jon Hirozawa of Central Florida News 13 that he doesn't expect to be in Orlando very long.
- 5 Mar 2008 - Redick writes on his blog that he won't answer any more questions about playing time.
So, what do you guys think about J.J.? Does he deserve a spot in the rotation? Does he have a future with this team? Did Otis Smith make a mistake in drafting him? Make yourself heard in the comments.